Here’s a recipe for a lemon meringue sundae I just whipped up. It’s been hot, sweaty and humid for a while and our patio door is still open at night; a brief few hours of cool breeze. Please note that I’m not complaining – last summer in Britain was like living underwater.
Lemon Meringue Sundae
- Thin cut orange marmalade
- Good-quality lemon sorbet
- The best vanilla ice cream you can find
- Mini meringue shells
- Whipped cream and decorations to taste
- Mix one part limoncello and two parts marmalade into a sauce
- Pour a spoonful of sauce at the bottom
- Place one scoop of lemon sorbet on top
- Place three mini meringue shells upside down on top of that
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the meringue shells
- Scoop out one more ball of lemon sorbet and place on top
- Scoop out a ball of vanilla and place next to it
- Top with whipped cream and decorations to taste
- Serve immediately
This is a deliciously tangy and refreshing dessert for hot days. Ideal perfume to wear whilst enjoying it: Eau de Shalimar.
I used Luxardo Limoncello, mini meringue shells, lemon sorbet and marmalade from Waitrose (but Sainsbury’s lemon sorbet is also good and any nice marmalade will do). Kelly’s clotted cream ice cream tastes very similar to home-made ice cream and suits this concept very well. You could also try anything that isn’t too heavily vanilla-flavoured; you’ll need something creamy.